Saturday, March 17, 2012

Seeing Green

With the warmest winter I've experienced here in South Carolina coming to a close this week, Spring is in full bloom around here.  Last year's garden was a raging success, so now armed with more knowledge and ambition I am working toward harvesting almost year round.  I'm now in the cool spring vegetable planting season and the garden has been filled with lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower and collards.  To me the most exciting part is my carrot seeds which have germinated into little green sprigs.  Claire has taken to eating the romaine lettuce right off the plant - no ranch dressing needed for her!


Here are our strawberry plants - now in their 2nd year starting to bloom.  Supposedly strawberries get sweeter after the first couple of years.



 And our new addition is the herb box.  Last year I grew herbs on my porch in small pots, where they drank water like fish and needed to be watered twice per day.  I'm hoping that the box will give them a little more soil to drink from, and I've expanded to basil, oregano, rosemary and parsley.




No comments:

Post a Comment