Friday, March 5, 2010

Events of the week

We had some big events this week! Event # 1 was the official kindergarten registration for Claire. I haven't figured out the school system yet, and maybe I am just a little too wound up.... I just found it odd that I had to go out seeking 1) what school I belong to and 2) when I need to register. Isn't it law that kids have to go to school? Why is no one sending me letters saying I need to do this? I guess it is also required that parents know their school zoning, and know when the age cut off is to enter. Claire is close to the cut off, so it did require a little thinking. She barely qualifies as a kindergartener this fall (by 2 weeks!) But now that I have educated myself, I am completely familiar with the kindergarten curriculum to make sure we are completely prepared. :)

I called our elementary school to figure out the enrollement protocol. To them it was simple: immunization cert, birth certificate and 2 proofs of residency, with one (or two) proofs being a power bill. Sounds easy, but I don't get paper utility statements and really didn't want to call up the power company to get a copy. I start asking questions - could I bring a property tax bill? a voter registration? a drivers license? Hmmmmm ..... silence on the line. No, a power bill is a must have. Seriously? Yup. Next line of questioning - WHEN am I to register? Now is the time! The preference is to come between 9:30 am and 2:00 PM - right in the most convenient time of day for working parents who work > 20 minutes from the school, right?

We got it done. Power bill in hand, 1/2 day vacation used up and 6 pages of forms filled out in a #2 pencil later... we are officially on the roster!

Thursday of this week the old guy of this house turned a year older! We celebrated Jason's birthday with a dinner out with his mom and dad and capped off the night with a yummy cheesecake assortment. Claire erupted into a fit of whining when she heard Jason choose cheesecake as his birthday treat - no frosting? What kind of cake is this? One that she ended up loving, and eating sans fork, using 2 hands. She and Chloe both had a second helping tonight.






We're looking forward to this weekend - super nice weather and a bunch of birthday parties to attend! Welcome back to Spring!!

1 comment:

  1. i was laughing out loud about the school registration. it just doesn't seem possible though that Claire will be starting to school! (sniff, sniff) happy belated birthday to Jason!!

    ReplyDelete