Sunday, March 21, 2010

Running around

It always seems like we are running from one thing to another - work, to school, to birthday parties, to the grocery store... and on and on. Over the past few years that has been the bulk of my exercise - with a crazy work life and 2 little kids, who has time for anything else?

In the past few months, I thought I needed to do something more - something for my own health and wellness. I was talking with neighbors about schedules and working out (which I had NO time for) and one neighbor described it differently then I ever thought of before. He works out because you should. You should for your own health, for your future with your kids and grand kids and because it is essential to live a long and health life. I always thought as exercise in a different manner - it was a way to tone up, to lose weight, to look better ... notice it was all about something in it for ME - more like something to be gained. After this conversation, I thought about it more as something that you just should do. Period. To have better health and set a good example for my kids - just something that needs to be done as a priority in life. Keeping that in mind, I re prioritized.

I began running the Couch to 5k program (http://www.c25k.com/) in mid January and this past Saturday marked the completion of the program. I capped it off by participating in the Milliken Earth Run 5k. The past 2 months training went really well - I made time to run where time did not exist, and added in cross training (weights, etc) about half way through the program. Gradually I went from gasping after 90 seconds of running to trucking along for 3 miles with tired legs but strong lungs. I couldn't believe the progress! Jason and girls came out on Saturday in the dark and cold (first Saturday after the time change is usually the best sleep in day of the year!) and cheered me on. Hearing the "goooooo MOMMY!!" at the halfway point gave me the boost I needed. The course was all grass - great for the knees, but tough on speed and energy as the soft ground absorbs your momentum. Excuses aside, the race was run and the time was not that great, but the fact remains that I am building my strength and endurance all for a good cause. A happy and healthy life.

My cheering section (the start pack is in the background)


Half way there!


About 3 miles in - the end is in sight!

After the race, we ran (haha) back to the car to head home so I could take a quick shower and head to Niki and Jeremy's son, Caleb's, first birthday party! The girls loved playing with all their friends.



Chloe getting shoes off for the bounce house



Birthday Boy Caleb


Ethan & Alex


Brooke & Nathan


Jennifer & Myers


Maeve & Claire

Chloe & Ethan

No comments:

Post a Comment