Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Experimental Cooking

As I have mentioned oh, at least 10,000 times before, I stay pretty busy with work, kids and life in general. For some reason I like to cook most weeknights - the rare exception being if someone has to work really late, or I find myself out of a key ingredient. Come to think of it, running out of key ingredients is pretty common. Just ask Jason about trips to Publix to buy a can of cream of mushroom soup (he comes back with 5.)

I'm not sure why I run out of stuff. Every Sunday I diligently make a list of what we are going to have as meals for the week. I take inventory of what items I have on hand, then make a list of everything else that I need. Then off we go, the whole family, to the grocery store with list in hand.

The list creating process usually takes me a looooooong time because I am always bored with the same old/same old stuff that I make. To try to freshen things up, I search cookbooks, websites or just make stuff up to create new things. Jason will tell you - some work out, and some do not which again leads to an impromptu pizza night. Most of the things that I choose are meant to be fast and kid friendly. They are not necessarily the healthiest option (read: I like cheese) or the most economical. I realize that I could save money by not going for convenience items, but for me it makes sense to use frozen chopped onion or green peppers, pre-shredded cheese, etc to speed up the prep time. Again, my goal is to provide a hot meal that the kids (including Jason) will eat AND we have leftovers for the next day's lunches.

Truth is, I like to cook and try new things. So for all those busy folks out there, I thought I would share. I can't promise that they are any good, but I will share the feedback from my family and what we thought of it. And feel free to share ideas back with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment