Monday, August 2, 2010

An Unmistakable Thud

You know the one I am talking about .... the sound of a little head hitting a hard floor. Having knocked myself out on our hardwood floors, I show pity to all others who have had their noggin cracked - even when it's caused by the usual rule breaking - jumping on furniture, running through the house, etc. But yesterday's thud from my favorite accident prone two year old turned out to be a little more then a head bonk.
First a little background information..... Chloe moved to our kitchen table several months ago and she sits at our counter height table in her booster seat. Over the past few weeks Chloe has figured out to mount and dismount her booster all on her own. And beware of the tongue lashing you get if you, heaven forbid, try to help her climb up or down into the stool - you'll be screamed at with a "noooo, Himie do it!" and we recoil and allow her to shake and strain her way up into the seat. Side note... we are not sure who Himie is (pronounced Him-E), but that is how Chloe refers to herself. No idea where that came from, but the message is clear: Back Off.

Sunday night Chloe (Himie) had finished up her weekly Sunday Grilled Cheese Supper (Sunday best, of course) and was making her climb down the stool to join Claire for play time. I was making my own sandwich at the time and only heard the thud... and the scream afterwards. I run over and scoop her off the floor where she's laying face down and a gush of blood comes out of her mouth. You know the blood I am talking about - the black kind that indicates something reallllly deep has gone on. I whisk her to the kitchen sink where the blood continues to pour and I hear it gurgling in her throat. I mop her chin with a paper towel and Jason brings a cup of water - in which she lets another rush of blood flow right into. At this point I still can't see where the blood is coming from - she's just screaming and gurgling, and the blood is still full in her mouth and I can't see in. She finally calms down and lays on my shoulder for a few minutes and I ask her if it is her teeth or tongue that is hurting. She clearly replies with "tongue" and even sticks it out so I can see the big black gash that is right in the center. Thankfully all the teeth are still intact.


The shirt - "Smile!" Ummm, don't think so.





Chloe calms down and has some water out of a sippy, then head's into my bedroom for their special TV watching treat whenever someone gets sick or injured. An hour of Dora and The Wonder Pets later, she tells me, "Mommy, it's feewing bettah." She makes an appeal for me to sleep with her when I put her to bed - gotta give her credit for a good try!

This morning at breakfast, Chloe sucked on some cantaloupe and licked icing off a toaster strudel - but ate no solid food before heading to the couch with her blanket saying she wanted to go night-night. I spoke with her teacher around lunch time and she ate snack and lunch but was still requesting to go to sleep. Hopefully this will be a quick heal and Himie will feel better soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment