Saturday, January 16, 2010

The 'Creepy Crud' stikes again........

Friday evening was fairly normal. I just got back from Atlanta and spent some quality time with the girls but dozed off on the couch after we put them to bed. I decided around 10 pm that I should retire to bed and maybe watch Leno to hear his latest barbs towards NBC and their huge screw-up with the late night programming.

I should mention that Chandra was already asleep by the time I got to bed and it didn't take long before I was out. I was awaken by Chandra getting out of bed and leaving our bedroom. We sleep with our door closed and I heard her open the door, leave the room and shut the door behind her. Almost immediately after the door shut I heard a thud that was the unmistakable sound of someone collapsing on the floor

I sprang from the bed knowing something was bad! I opened the door and Chandra was passed out on the floor! I lifted her head and began frantically asking "what happened? what's wrong? are you o.k.?" to which Chandra replied, "I've got to get to the bathroom I'm going to be sick".

So I helped her to her feet and she headed towards the guest bathroom at a brisk pace. As she was exiting the kitchen, she ran into the wall and completely passed out falling backward like a cut down tree. TIMMMBERRRR! Boom! Her head hit the hardwood floor with a sickening thud. I ran over to her and she was stone cold lights out. Holy crap. I didn't know whether to call 911 or what. All the thoughts that rush through your head, its terrible. Our girls are upstairs asleep. What do I do with them? Run to the neighbors?

Well I lifted her head and torso and began lightly slapping her on the cheeks. She slowly came-to and again said "I've got to get to the bathroom I'm gonna puke!" So I helped her crawl the last 10 feet to the bathroom just in time.

Oh man, I just knew she had a concussion. I mean this was about as hard as you can hit your head............I was really worried because after she was done throwing-up, all she wanted to do was lay down. I know that anytime there is a head/brain injury people getting tired and want to lay down but they advise never do that. Well I look at the clock and its 11:30 pm. Of course she's tired. Is it the head trauma or just the fact that its 11:30? I felt the back of her head and she had a HUGE bump! I asked her if she had a headache and she just said it hurt on the back and on her brow. I examined her brow and decent bump there too (probably from the first fall that I didn't see).

So I tried to convince her to at least sit-up in the bathroom but she was feeling dizzy so I just let her lay down on the bathroom floor with a pillow. We later tried to move to the guest bed (the closest one) but she was concerned about being able to make it back to the bathroom in an emergency so we made a make shift bed in the bathroom. I stayed up for about an hour and a half just to make sure she wasn't having trouble from her head trauma and when things appeared to be o.k. I went back to bed.

This morning she seems to be doing better so we're not sure exactly what it was..... Possibly could have been the leftover pizza she ate for dinner?? Who knows but at least she is better.

So anyway, I'm watching the kids and need to clean the house for the baby shower we are hosting today for our good friends Brooke and Patrick.

A funny continuation to the last blog about Chandra giving in to the requests for junk food. First of all, I said it wouldn't kill the girls to eat a pop tart. I never said load up on, corn dogs, french toast sticks, pop tarts and cinnamon toast crunch. Geez, let's not go overboard here..............

So I was awaken promptly at 7:00am this morning by Claire.

Claire: "Daddy, where's mommy?"
Daddy: "She's sick, leave her alone please"
Claire: "Can I have a pop tart?"
Daddy: "Sure, I guess so. I need to check on Mommy anyway"

So I fired up the toaster, threw in 2 strawberry pop tarts and Claire was giddy with excitement. Once they were done I warned her to wait because they were hot from the toaster. It was like watching a dog looking at a bone. I think I even saw some drool running down her chin.

While waiting, Claire said one of the funniest things I have ever heard her say.

Claire: "Daddy"
Daddy: "Yes Claire"
Claire: "Do pop tarts grow on trees?"
Daddy: Laughs hysterically............"No sweetie, there's no pop tart tree"
Claire: "Well, where do they come from?"
Daddy: "A factory"
Claire: "What's a factory?"
Daddy: "A place where they make pop tarts"
Claire: "o.k."

So the pop tarts are cool down and I allow her to dive in. The verdict..................
Claire: "Daddy"
Daddy: "Yes?"
Claire: "Chloe can have this pop tart" (there are 2 and she points to the one she hasn't touched)
Daddy: "O.k. we'll let Chloe try the pop tart too"
Claire: "Daddy"
Daddy: "Yes"
Claire: "Chloe can have this one too" (pointing to the one she has picked on)
Daddy: "what's a matter? You don't like the pop tart?"
Claire: "Can I have a Cheerios?" (not willing to admit her disappointment)
Daddy: "sure"

So there you have it. It's just like you always hear. As a parent, sometimes telling kids is not as effective as letting the live a little and find out for themselves. Here Chandra's worried about a quality diet and because of their eating habits, they don't even really care for the junk. I guess you call that a win-win?

P.S. Chloe wouldn't eat the pop tarts either....................
Break out the shredded wheat!

Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment